Monday, January 7, 2013

The Good Old Corn Plant

Dracaena fragrans


I thought I would give you a little treat today by showing you just why the corn plant has a name of "fragrans" which as those of you who have studied the romantic languages know means fragrant. 

Here it is.  I have had my "Dracaena fragrans" for over 8 years and this is the first time I have seen it bloom.  The poor thing has been delegated to a shady balcony until my recent move to a house and a sunny patio.  The flower is clustered on a long stalk like an orchid and it takes almost as long to blossom. 

The photo below show the whole flower stalk.  It is very heavy and the bottom of the stalk is at the top of the picture. 

k.k.jones


 

The Sun and the Bloom

Not enough sun and the corn plant's distinctive color variation on its leave will fade to a straight green.  So be sure to give it a bright filtered light.  To get it to bloom, you will need to add a little more light.  My little baby received full morning sun for 3 months before it set a bloom.  For those of you that live up north, that would be all summer.  Remember to keep it in a sunny window after you bring it back inside.  My stalk began to show in late November and the bloom you see above was in place on December 31st.  I am not sure if it popped it's bloom at night or early in the morning but it was waiting for me when I went out to check on it.  And yes it is fragrant.  The scent is stronger in the morning which makes me believe that blooms opened at night.

Well, I suppose I should go over the growing needs of this plant now that I have shown you the very unusual flowers.  First the lighting, as we have surmised is fairly high.  It will survive with less but will not be as happy.  The soil should be moist but not wet. It likes temperatures in the mid 70's and will tolerate as low as 50.  Mine actually is doing quite well with night temperatures of 40 but it is in a protected area.  Common problem is browning tips.  This can be from not enough water or the wrong kind of water.  The corn plant is sensitive to fluoridated water.  Fertilizing with a calcium base food will help protect against this. 

Well that is all for today.  All in all the corn plant "Dracaena fragrans" is a very easy plant to grow and makes a lovely houseplant. If you have any questions please email me at joneskathee@gmail.com or add comments right to this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment