Monday, January 14, 2013

Have you seen this?

The Dwarf Schefflera (Schefflera arboricola) has long been one of my favorite plants for indoor gardening.  It is easy to grow and it is of a good size for a floor plant.  So you can understand that I am now twice as pleased now that I have moved south and can also use it in my outdoor garden. But that is not why I have chosen to write about the Schefflera today. 

The reason is the picture that I took on my cell phone while heading into a local wholesale store.  I was so excited that I kept taking pictures to show you.  This picture shows a variegated bush with berries on it.  This is the first time I have ever seen them.  Look at the star that is shaped by the berry stalks. The berry stalks slowly turn to a rainbow of reds and oranges as they ripen. What a great show for the post Christmas season.   I just love it.  This is something that indoor gardeners do not get a chance to see very often.

Care and general information


The Dwarf Schefflera comes in both solid green and variegated varieties. The name is deceiving as this plant can grow up to 10 feet in height and will be very wide.  It likes sunny locations and can even be moved into a dappled sun outdoors during the summer (that is if it isn't too big.) They should not be exposed to temperatures lower than 60 degrees or you may get burn marks on the leaves.  Though the Schefflera prefers to be kept on the moist side, be sure not to over water it.  A good soaking once a week during the growing season should be all it needs. This plant is one of those who love a good misting if you find that it is drying out too quickly. 

Though the Schefflera is very disease resistant, you need to be wary of bug infestation.  Generally healthy plants are not bothered by bugs so be sure to fertilize regularly.   The Dwarf Schefflera is a heavy feeder during the growing season and some gardeners recommend doubling up on the fertilizer.  I am not too sure about that because over fertilizing is just a bad as not fertilizing.  I would love to hear comments about this from any reader who has had exceptional results with reguards to this.

Well I guess that is all for today.   I did find a picture of the blossom at Dave's Garden if you would like to see it.  Please add your comments to this page if you have any more information that other readers might need.  If you have your own photo of the blossom, please send it to me and I will publish it on this blog. 

You can reach me through the blog or email me at joneskathee@gmail.com.     

No comments:

Post a Comment